Mission Debrief for Loki Lego Launcher 2.0

Our mission was successful!  We met all of our primary goals:

  1. Reach a height of 27,500 meters (90,200 feet); we made it to 30,880 meters (101, 325 feet).
  2. Complete the launch and descent in less than four hours; our mission length this time was 3 hours and 23 minutes.
  3. See the curvature of the earth on our video footage; see picture above!
  4. Compare data with our first launch and see if we observe the same temperature changes at the same heights; our temperature/altitude graph looks very similar to our last launch.

However, we might have failed on one of our secondary parameters: Parachute not opening.  Our cord between our balloon and parachute was too long and the balloon got twisted around the parachute lines.  When we found the Loki Lego Launcher, it was totally twisted up.

By the Numbers

Height at highest point (apogee): 30,884 meters (101,325 feet)

Total flight time: 3:23:30; launch to apogee: 2:30:30; apogee to landing: 53:00

Temperature range during flight: -55C to 31C (-67F to 87.8F)

Fastest speed during flight: 127 km/h (78.9mph)

Distance between launch and landing sites: 126.8 km (78.9 miles)

Data is Everything

Our APRS Radio Bug that we added as a second tracker to our spacecraft was awesome.  It was so fun to see where it was in real-time, and we were able to be close to our landing site before it actually landed.  (Chasing the spacecraft in the car while it was coming down was super exciting).  It gave us really interesting data that can be analyzed in several ways.

Raw Data from flight computer:   EAGLEB01.LLL2.0 – Copy

PDF charts: Loki Lego Launcher 2.0 Data

APRS track
From APRS.fi, using the latitude and longitude coordinates
LLL2.0 path 1
Using the KML data in Google Maps for a 3D view showing altitude

Plus, our data from our new VI sensor was really interesting.  There is a lot more to analyze, but we think there are going to be lots of other ways to use use this sensor.  We have a lot more data analysis to do over the next few days and weeks.

Our Solar Experiment Hypothesis was Correct

Our solar panel experiment that was on board was based on the hypothesis that as our spacecraft got higher, then there would be less particles in the air that would block the sun’s rays, so the solar panel would produce more current.  Well, according to our data, this may be true!

Alt-m vs M A
Altitude (meters) vs Current (mA)

As can be seen in the chart (that Dad did for us), as the altitude increases, the trend line showing the current data also increases.  The other cool thing is that all those tests that we did while we were trying to figure out this solar experiment were useful, because this data shows that at least our circuitry wiring was correct!

 

Lessons Learned

Like last time, we talked about what we learned from our launch on the car ride back home from the recovery site.  A few lessons we learned were new, and a few were similar to our first launch.  We referred to our first set of lessons several times during Launch Day.

wp-1470004117038.jpg

 

 

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Mission Debrief for Loki Lego Launcher 2.0

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s